Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Dorm Room List

My list of my dorm room objects:

Bed
Mattress
Comforter
Pillow (2)
Throw pillows (6)
Window seat
Futon
Blanket
Jewelry
Phone
Phone charger
Reading light (2)
Desk
Chair
Books (19)
Box of Sunday funnies
Lamp
Laptop
pictures
Candy canisters (3)
Sticky notes
Stapler
Paper clips
Pens/pencils
Sharpies
Whiteboard pens
Whiteboard eraser
White out
Tape
Glue
Scissors
Hand sanitizer
Push pens
Lined paper
Extra binder
Fridge
Vitamin waters (8)
Apples (3)
Speakers
Ipod
Hard drive
Drawers
Fan
Makeup/ nail polish/ etc
Shoes (14 pairs)
Sweatshirts (4)
Hats (4)
Gloves (2)
Jackets (5)
Sweatpants (2)
Jeans (4)
Vests (2)
Shirts (21)
T-shirts (7)
Socks (13)
Shorts (6)
Pjs (3)
Swim suit (2)
Cups (4)
Plates (4)
Silverware (8)
Bowls (4)
Shower caddy
Shampoo
Conditioner
Body wash
Face wash
Towel
House robe
Dress
Skirt
Backpack
Belts (3)
Hairbrush
Hair straightener
Toothpaste
Toothbrush
Water filter
Volleyball
Frisbee
FOOD
tool kit
Laundry detergent

 After reading over my own list and comparing it to those of the 1700s, I found a lot of similarities, and quite a few differences. For instance I value my electronics a lot, while slaves, silverware, and imported items were greatly valued in the 1700s. At the same time I value pictures and letters a lot. People back then also valued pictures. The biggest difference I noticed was that these items were just in my small dorm room. I have more items even back home in my room. On the other hand, these were all of the items these people owned for their entire homes and farms. Basically, today we have a lot more “stuff”. It made me step back and look at how unnecessary a lot of these things are.  

No comments:

Post a Comment