Monday, February 21, 2011

Sentence Structure Practice

I really enjoyed this assignment of rewriting sentences in class over the last couple of days. To take apart someone else’s sentence and write in that style was difficult at first to do. It went against the “norm” for me when forming sentences. The structure made me have to work harder to convey ideas but it also caused me to write a more interestingly formulated sentence (even if it was a pretty easy topic!). This helped me to vary sentence structure and I think I will use this task on the next paper, to give my writing a little more variation.
Original:
“Yet the core components of Franklin’s dream as expressed in his writings- trust in the basic decency of human beings, a belief that earthly and heavenly rewards are broadly consonant, and , above all, a serene confidence that both can be attained- reflected the core convictions of a great many Americans of his time” (Cullen, pg 65)

Mine:
The major components to blizzard- stormy clouds, forceful winds, frigid temperatures, and most importantly, massive snowfall- were all present in Northfield, Minnesota’s weather last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment