Thursday, March 31, 2011

Future Travel Promise

Now that we all have almost made it through the first year of school, (it seems crazy right?), I am trying to plan out as far into the future as possible…. lunch at 1 today.
 But in all seriousness I have been looking at study abroad programs, in an obsessed sort of way. At this point I have lots of options and I am extremely excited for all of them. After reading Tocqueville’s work I have become even more inspired and know that I will be taking advantage of study abroad options. He took a trip to America and was able to learn so much about our culture. Having a different viewpoint (French) coming into this trip, Tocqueville was able to understand American politics in a light different from any longtime citizen. Some of these points were so simple or common to our lifestyle that we tend to overlook them.
In general, I have decided to reflect on everything I observe in my travel and write a journal. I am really bad because I like to start things and struggle to finish them but I am stating this on my blog therefore it is much more likely to happen. I feel like learning from seeing and doing is so much stronger. I hope I can enhance this future trip even more through my writings.  I want to look back onto my trip much later and remember even more the things I learned from this experience that tend to be lost over the years.
I guess this was mostly a pledge to writing while traveling…. as inspired by people such as Tocqueville.

2 comments:

  1. Katie, This would be a great outcome from AmCon. I know of several AmCon alums who then went on study abroad program and used their "dense facting" skills to good insight. LDL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, the meetings mention journaling but I don't think I would have probably even listened to that advice prior to considering through blogging for AMCON.

    ReplyDelete