Saturday, September 18, 2010

Freedoms; Positive and Negative


The idea of positive and negative freedoms is an extremely difficult concept for me to comprehend. Just when I thought I understood it, we had class lecture and it became even more confusing to understand. The main thought I had after leaving class was the question of what is a right and what is a freedom. They are different concepts but seem to overlap at certain times.

Another question I had after class was whether or not “freedoms” conflict at times with “human rights”. In some ways I think this occurs but in other cases, I think people have the right to respect but not listen or care about the ways people use their freedoms. In this way I think that there are cases of conflict, like freedom of speech and the right to ignore. No freedom is being denied; only it may not serve the purpose the speaker wishes.

 Basically, this concept of freedoms leaves me with more unanswered questions than with the neat orderly definitions I crave.

No comments:

Post a Comment