Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Declaration Inspiration

I found the Declaration of Independence to be a very useful dense fact. It seems like such a key focus for Americans today when reflecting back on our country’s foundations. It is hard to think about the Revolutionary War, without thinking about this important document to our nation’s history. The words were very carefully planned, which makes this document even more useful and memorable for The United States.
When all the reviewing happened the amount of time and effort put into these seemingly minor changes sticks out the most. When looking at original drafts and then comparing it to the final known Declaration, it was impressive to see how those changes affected the feel of the paper. A lot were unimportant to me today, like the lists of specific grievances, but the overall idea still has its effect.
The amount of reviewing put into this document inspired me to do so with my own paper. Instead of simply writing it and reviewing it for grammar and minor details, I wrote out a first draft, printed it for reference but then completely changed up most parts for the second writing of my paper. Although not nearly as impressive as the Declaration naturally, I still feel like the same reviewing techniques were very helpful. I hope that this inspiration from the Declaration in terms of writing and editing is not brief!

1 comment:

  1. Katie, This testimony both cheers me as a teacher and makes me eager to read your editorial, even if you did not have the help of John Adams and Benjamin Franklin in the editing process. LDL

    ReplyDelete